Building Regulations Part E


The overall aim of the regulation is to improve the sound insulation both between and within dwellings, as well as between rooms in hostels, hotels and residential homes.


In practical terms what does this mean to you the developer , architect or specifier?
Firstly if you are changing use of a property for example creating two flats out of one house or changing a retail space into living space then you will need to comply with regulation E.


What does this mean?


You will be required to carry out the work to a regulation E standard, and then have a test on the work you have done to see that it conforms to the regulation E standard. This test is typically £650 to £750 + VAT and will involve the testing company generating a specific set of noises including generating impact sounds. These test results are then submitted and a pass or fail is generated.

Regulation E testing

We work with RJ acoustics (UCAS Accredited) a friendly flexible and reliable firm who can offer sound testing. They can be contacted on 01923 518 923

Regulation E testing


The test covers airborne and impact sound.


All our solutions are regulation E compliant. This compliance is normally broken down into two components


1) Ceiling/floor separation. The test comprises two elements- See our solutions


a) Impact sound ( Lntw) whereby you must achieve an Lntw of LOWER than 64dB.

b) Airborne sound ( Dntw +Ctr) whereby you must achieve a figure of GREATER than 43dB


1) Wall separation. The test comprises one element- See our solutions


b) Airborne sound ( Dntw +Ctr) whereby you must achieve a figure of GREATER than 43dB


The Regulations


Tables 1a to the right illustrate the airborne sound insulation and impact sound insulation values required in the various types of dwellings. Please note that in the case of airborne sound insulation, DnTw is the measurement used, however as low-frequency sound is the most difficult frequency range to stop a Ctr (correction factor) is used to take this into account. LnTw is measurement used to measure the impact sound insulation of floors (on site).


With Airborne Sound, the higher the DnTw + Ctr figure the better, and with Impact sound the lower the LnTw figure the better.

Ceiling SolutionsWall SolutionsSolution CalculatorsBuy Online